Friday, 22 November 2013

Straight in at Number 2 - Cardiff Blogging ....

All back to normal around these parts. Post holiday depression starting to subside, caught up with work and so time for tea. If you've known me for a while you will know that Megan and I like a spot of afternoon tea. I don't know why it has taken us so long to get to it but this time we chose the Hilton in Cardiff. Their Razzi Restaurant is set in a conservatory facing Cardiff Castle, Civic buildings and Winter Wonderland. We had a comfy table with a great castle view and settled down to what we do best, eat ....


We started with strawberry and raspberry Bellinis, whilst Meg decided which tea we would have ....




Devoid of our favourite, Darjeeling, we chose the Traditional English. Piping hot and copious served in pristine white china, in came the accompanying tier of goodies. Let the drooling commence ....




Always a savouries first girl, I got stuck in to the best, yes, the best salmon and cucumber sandwich I have ever had ....


OK, this is where you will have to get really close to the screen to lick it. The scone was crispy and warm, just how I like it. The jam was juicy and the cream,well, just right ....



By this point we were actually stuffed but no, we dug in like an Alabama tick and kept on going ....




OK, enough. The remainder, carrot cake, Welsh cakes and brownies, we had to take home for John. We are not really on a quest to find the best, it's just difficult not to rate the offering after having imbibed as much as we have. Everything was fresh and obviously made in house. The tea was excellent and hot, so hot Meg took a huge gulp and on realising how lava hot it was, spat it straight back into the cup. The things you see when you don't have your camera ready. For once I feel the Hilton has the savoury/sweet balance just right. We still put The Celtic Manor at the top based mainly on presentation, but Razzi at the Hilton Cardiff, comes in at a very, very close second.
Razzi Restaurant - Cardiff on Urbanspoon

14 comments:

  1. Salmon and Cucumber sandwiches? Freshly made scones, jam and cream? Welsh Cakes? With currants? That would certainly push many of my gourmet buttons!
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirk,
      Is there anything better? Probably, yes, but not much, maybe more chocolate :-)
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm - so good! I'm done licking my screen :) And does Meg ever take a bad shot? Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmm indeed Loi. Funny you ask that about Meg. If you asked her she would say YES. I have to run the photos by her for approval. In my view, she never takes a bad shot :-)
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Is that REAL Devon or Cornish cream on the scone? If so Cardiff is on my list, LOL! That is some tea - funny how some Hiltons are that good, whereas others haven't much going for them in the food department. We were served afternoon tea in a similar way at the Burj Khalifa in Dubai - it was fabulous, but far too much food for anyone and we couldn't take it home sadly!

    Happy weekend - hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,
      Neither Devon or Cornish, just double I think. Clotted is my all time favourite though. This is a very good Hilton and was the first 5 star hotel in Cardiff. It was offices when I was a kid. Empty for many years before the Hilton Group bought it. They wanted to change the exterior, especially the old metal windows but Cardiff CC Planning Dept said no, so they had to work around it. It's a nice hotel, expensive, but nice.

      i have not been to Dubai. Somehow it doesn't appeal to me, too hot! A lot of places won't let you take food away these days. I figure, I paid for it, it's mine!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Is there a penalty for arriving LATE for tea? I hope not, because I am so late here! I saw your post from my phone yesterday in the middle of my lunch break (which is very short!) and I couldn't wait to come to sit properly and visit.

    Di, you and Meg are my long distance muses, my pals. How you share your world makes me happy, and look at those fabulous green eyes of hers! That tea, the sweets, what am I doing HERE? I want to take a trip to your part of the world and explore.

    Welcome home my friend. I know you had a wonderful trip, but relax and enjoy the coziness of home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No penalty my darling, just great to see you.
      I am flattered that you regard us a muses, we are just doing our thing. She's not only my daughter, but my best friend and my go to person to spend an enjoyable day with. I am blessed!

      I know you say what are you doing there, but after our trip to the USA, we are asking ourselves the same thing. I guess the grass is always greener.
      Much Love
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. What a tease!!! Until following your blog, I never appreciated the love of "tea."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find tea as complex and varied as wine. The after effects are not quite the same, but just as enjoyable!
      Next time you're in London, let me know and we will meet for tea at The Dorchester!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. The pictures are so beautiful. I can see it tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmm, I could eat it all over again Wilma!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Drooling accomplished, thank you very much!!! :)))
    Darjeeling is sublime, isn't it? I, too, am tea obsessed....must be the Russian side of me...
    This all looks beyond beyond...yumyumyum,
    Of course, your dear girl is stunning as always....I am so happy for you both, what a lovely day out!
    Love to you!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely delicious looking tea Di and how gorge is Meg!
    I must say, I do appreciate the finer qualities of tea after a couple of Bellinis and I always claim ownership of a Macaron before it hits the table, you can have whatever you like but that lone Macaron is mine Mrs! x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!
I try to respond here so check back :-)