Wednesday, 27 February 2013

On This Day


HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


Daylight and Moonlight

In broad daylight and at noon
Yesterday I saw the moon
Sailing high, but faint and white
As a schoolboy's paper kite

In broad daylight, yesterday
I read a poet's mystic lay
And it seemed to me at most
As a phantom or a ghost

But at length the feverish day
Like a passion died away
And the night, serene and still
Fell on village, vale and hill

Then the moon in all her pride
Like a spirit glorified
Filled and overflowed the night
With revelations of her light

And the poet's song again
Passed like music through my brain
Night interpreted to me
All its grace and mystery
                                                                       Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 
                                                         27th February 1807



9 comments:

  1. Hello Dianne, Thanks for reminding us to focus attention on Longfellow, whose "grace and mystery" so often enriches us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my dear, I have been missing you! Such a beautiful poem from one of my favorite poets. I hope you are well!

    I hope to be by soon with an email to catch up with you, take care Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me smile, such a beautiful poem!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read a dead poet's great work, it is their birthday with me. Words well-written are an elixir, any time, anywhere. Thank you DI! Hugs to a wonderful lady. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is rally special - a lovely poem. i'm coming over from Anita, and a a new follower of your blog. Want to follow me too?
    I have a great giveaway going on, you can win free designer eyeglasses! See you soon - hope you have a lovely weekend, M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Like a spirit glorified...with revelations of her light."
    Sigh...so beautiful.

    Thank you for sharing, Di.
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    XOXO's

    ReplyDelete
  7. serene night falling on village and hill,
    that’s what it’s like tonight after a beautiful sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the moon, and love Longfellow....thank you for this beauty!
    Is this your photo? It's breathtaking!!
    So wonderful to see you post a bit...miss you in the blogosphere, dearest Dianne!!
    I hope all is good and happy, my friend...
    Much love,
    - Irina :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!
I try to respond here so check back :-)