Tuesday, 8 January 2013

A Retrospective ....

Those of you who follow regularly will remember at the end of last year we travelled to Scotland the week before Christmas. On the way back to Wales we stopped off in the Lake District and stayed at a property once owned by Beatrix Potter, Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel.

It was another Secret Escapes deal including bed and breakfast, afternoon tea and a five course evening meal. How could we say no ....


It's in a wonderful location with views of Lake Windermere, from the higher rooms looking over the tree tops. Our room faced the car park, somewhat confirming my hunch that rooms booked on deals through these sites are not always the cream of the crop. I am confident that the best rooms are for customers paying full rack rates, and why not. This is not a criticism, just an observation to bear in mind when booking deals, you get what you pay for. Having said that, the room was lovely, it was dark when we arrived so looking at the view did not matter.

Lindeth Howe is home to Executive Head Chef Marc Guibert, the mastermind behind the worlds most expensive dessert ever made at a cool £22,000 ($35,000). It's a Faberge egg lookie likey with four different kinds of Belgian chocolate, gold leaf, champagne caviar and the piece de resistance, a two carat diamond. We didn't order that.

The food was very, very good. The atmosphere was way too grown up for us. Very formal with unspoken protocol which we immediately broke when walking into the dining room without being invited. We were swiftly ushered out to wait in the lounge to enjoy canapés and the opportunity to buy drinks and make our dining choices. We were then taken to our table in a hushed room, everyone whispering so as not to break the rules. I like to relax when on holiday and dining, obviously this was too up-market for this pleb! In summary, fur coat and no knickers, a bit pretentious and we've been there, done that, won't be going back. However, I would recommend it if you want to experience that level of formality.

This is a good look ....

Megan and Vincent

You too can look this cool if you go to see The Hobbit in IMAX 3D. Last night was our second viewing, first time in 3D. It won't be in cinemas much longer. If you have the chance and you like that kind of thing, don't miss it - be warned.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place! I kind of like the idea of everyone whispering and I would imagine no one would dare bring out their cell phones. My kind of place if only I could afford it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it was that bad price wise, it was £149 for B&B, afternoon tea and the 5 course dinner. Most B&Bs are that much, just for the room and breakfast. Check out Secret Escapes for the deals. Cheaper than staying at home :-)
      Di
      xxxx

      Delete
  2. The hotel looks just up my street.
    I love to be spoilt , wined and dined, the door of the car opened for me. It reminds me of my youth and early years of marriage.. It does look lovely.
    The price is excellent.
    At least you were spoilt for a while..
    val

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val,
      I thought it was good value. It was a tad pretentious, I like luxury coupled with relaxation but I felt I had to be on my best behaviour there. I like being BAD :-)
      Di
      xxx

      Delete
  3. What an amazing hotel! Very good value for money too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      If you have the chance, try it, it's a good experience and a great example of, perhaps, the long lost formality in British hotels.
      Di
      xxxx

      Delete
  4. That dessert looks amazing but I am not too sure what it might taste like. I mean I'm sure it's good but for that price? Forget it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loree,
      I believe, even if I won the lottery, I would not waste my money on a £22k pudding. It's obscene.
      Di
      xxxx

      Delete
  5. DI MY DEAR! HELLO THERE! Another enchanting journey my dear, whether the Lake District or to see the Hobbit; you always share what makes my heart skip a beat! MUCH LOVE TO YOU and may your new year continue to be filled with the love of your family! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to visit the area, but also prefer something a little more low key. Would love to hear any other suggestions you have!
    Happy new year!!
    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindeth Howe sounds divine! But you know I push used furniture, so it might be just a bit too posh for me. Now the Hobbit: FANTASTIC!! Going back to see it a second time. And I loved, loved the soundtrack....that misty mountain song....awesome!
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics as always! I so can't do 3D. Makes me hurl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dianne such a wonderful trip! I can just picture the oh so elegant restaurant...for me those are for anniversaries and such!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would love it! I will add it to my list for my next trip overseas.

    3D glasses have some a long way from the paper and cellophane ones of my youth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Di, you always make me smile! I love the Lake District but have not been to this oh so stuff restaurant. No knockers and a fur coat had me falling off my chair...

    I have not seen the Hobbit I have to get out more!

    Take care and have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely place, but I, too, would feel a bit stifled...knickers or not! :)))
    Gorgeous photo of the kids...
    Can't wait to see the Hobbit...
    xoxoxo,
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!
I try to respond here so check back :-)